It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:44 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

My Sleeved Barrel Project

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: My Sleeved Barrel Project

Postby Shepard » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:38 am

Very nice job. I think you'll be very happy with your choice of scopes. I have 4 and will have another for my Wildcat I'm building.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby TheJoe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:01 am

Shepard wrote:Very nice job. I think you'll be very happy with your choice of scopes. I have 4 and will have another for my Wildcat I'm building.

Thanks Shep, I've had the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP scope a while now and it's got to be the best you can get for $230. I am still considering a SWFA 20x but they really aggravated me on the scope base I ordered from them. Took 6 months to get then they sent the 6-48 version instead of the 8-40.

If anyone is wondering, I ended up with a 700 SA Base. It's a TPS with 20 MOA. I put adhesive backed 400 grit sand paper on the front of the receiver and sanded the profile onto the base, which was already pretty close. It's welded in the rear. It twisted very slightly despite welding it while I had a 1" steel round mounted in rings to hold it straight and stiff. Went really slow with welding too, stopping and cooling with compressed air. It's within a thousandth left to right with the bore though.
Random avatar
TheJoe
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby farmerboy78 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:01 am

I really like the project so far, did you close the bridge on the rear of the action? What kind of barrel did you start off with?
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 95 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby TheJoe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Yeah, I just welded each side of the base to the receiver.
I drilled and tapped the front of the receiver and shimmed the rear, tacked it up and removed shims and welded the remainder, very slowly.

It was an off the shelf CAI Tula high wall, one of their "X" (excellent) part number guns. '43 I think.
The bore is nice, I need to slug it again, IIRC it slugged at .3125.

For you loading guys, is the Prvi brass all the same between the PPU Match and regular 182 grains?

I have 120 rounds of 150 grain, 40 rounds of regular 182 grain.

I have 120 rounds of 182 grain Match on the way.

Should I keep the brass separate or mix it all together if they weight out the same?
Random avatar
TheJoe
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Hmmmm his real secret is on the table behind the rifle. Fruity Pebbles and Denatured Alcohol.. :crazy: hehehe No seriously nice job. The question will be if the epoxy will hold up to the heat. Keep us updated.

Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Sorry I misread your post. I have 4 SWFA scopes -- from the looks of yours it looks like SWFAs products.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby TheJoe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:08 pm

I was thinking you were a big SWFA Fan.

Here is what I have: http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms ... 14xffp.htm

It's been a great scope. I think it's a copy of the Falcon Menace. They probably come from the same place as SWFA.
Random avatar
TheJoe
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Randalloc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Great build Joe.
I am in the beginnings of doing a similar sleeve project. I am all ears and I planned to use some spacers too.. to center it. From Tony Williams a gent on FB 's Mad Hatter Modders got a line on an epoxy that is heat conductive.. Loctite Fixmaster Steel Liquid http://www.henkelna.com/product-search- ... 7910204417 I think I will start off with trying it without the epoxy first and see how she shoots, great to hear your getting a ragged hole. I love the bridging of the rear.. just wish i could find someone to do it for me in Ohio let alone a smith near that will work on a MoNa. Keep us informed on your progress I think it has great promise and she looks sweet! Tony is workin on one too.. will let him know to check out this thread if he hasnt already found it.
Hatter On !
Randall
You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created.” - Albert Einstein
“Creativity is that marvelous capacity to grasp mutually distinct realities and draw a spark from their juxtaposition.” ― Max Ernst
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 26 times
Kudos  Received: 46 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby lachdranan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:02 pm

Very very nice. I'll be watching for updates! My jacket project is waiting for a rock solid and I'll be ordering glass this week while it's still on sale before it goes up another $150. I haven't bonded the jacket to my barrel as of yet so I can get as much accuracy out of a stock barrel and see if jacketing helps or hurts it. As for the prvi brass question I have not seen any difference between the 182gr match loaded brass and the standard 182gr. I'm of the belief that more attention was paid to the consistency of the powder charge in the "match" loads as compared to the regular.
And when he gets to heaven to saint peter he will tell another soldier reporting sir I've served my time in hell.
Random avatar
lachdranan
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby TheJoe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:24 pm

I used High temp epoxy from MG chemicals. The tube is thin wall 1.25 od (or maybe id can't recall) from online metals. I had 1" of threads cut then turned a bushing to thread on and hold the tube centered.

In hindsight I would have done a bit more research and found a compound with a higher hardness rating and also added some finer aluminum media like grinding dust and thoroughly mixed it into the compound before adding in the course media. I shot 20 rounds in about 30 min and the middle of the tube between the chamber and muzzle was warm but not anywhere near hot. The chamber area and muzzle break were equal to or a little less than temp of my hands. The more I think about it I'm a little worried that I've (over) insulated the barrel.

You could also get some hardened drill rods to surround the barrel with concrete mix/portland cement before sleeving, look at the patents online for sleeved barrels.

The brake is awesome, shoots like a heavy .223.

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck with the builds guys.
Random avatar
TheJoe
Sniper
Sniper

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum