It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:55 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

A Mosin in 500 SW

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: A Mosin in 500 SW

Postby 0933 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:24 am

You guys will definitely be in un-charted territory as far as loads go... There is over 3/4 of a cubic inch per 1" of barrel. Using LOTS of slow burning propellant should maximize velocity.

You could also use light charges of a fast propellant for an almost silent low power load.

Looking forward to more guys! :thumbup:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Gamecock24 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 am

Jerry here's a link to thread where a guy built one these guns in 2011 so he maybe able to help if we can get in touch with him. I tried to contact him through YouTube but got no reply.
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 182 times
Kudos  Received: 160 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Shepard » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:20 pm

I've bee busy making fun parts. I have one barrel threaded and screwed into a receiver -- fits perfectly. I've got the second one in the lathe and I have a good start on it.

While I had the lathe open I made a tool that is a constant lubricator and fits on the muzzle and allows me to push coolant through the bore while I'm cutting the chamber. Gre'-Tan wants 125.00 dollars for it and its made of plastic. I made mine from aluminum -- I'll have less then ten in mine.

The 500 fits the bolt like a glove. I don't fore see any extraction problems and I be able to get 3 rounds in the mag well if I chose to use it.

I'll be renting a reamer from 4D rentals next week so these will be coming a long nicely. I ordered a Rock Solid Picatenny mount. I have a 16x42mm SWFA that I got off of the LIST for 249.99 and a set of Weaver 6 bolt rings.

I'm going back to the first build that I ever posted here and build another stock metal stock. Only this time it will be better then before. I ordered a LimbSaver large recoil pad and a Mako rubber ak pistol grip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Gamecock24 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:05 am

Your making some great progress there. I knew the 500 bullet fit the bolt like it was made for them. We'll just have to see if the extractor claw will grab the rim with out any problem. Did you order the muzzle brake for this monster yet?
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Shepard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:05 am

I'm going to wait on the muzzle brake until after it is finished and I'm able to test fire it. It may or may not need it, I don't want to put any unnecessary equipment on it to add to the weight.
Shepard

Postby Gamecock24 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:48 am

What's the approx weight on the barrels? I'm assuming a little less than a .30cal barrel with the same length and dia.
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Finnish Variant (1)

Postby U.PFINN » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:59 pm

I love it, really. I'm excited about it and I'll never see it in person. I like it because of what it stands for, all those people who said Mosins weren't safe to change calibers on, their garbage, etc. Keep up the great work!
Random avatar
U.PFINN
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 9 times
Medals: 1
Custom Builders Guild (1)

Postby Shepard » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:30 am

:D Well I have an update on the 500 Magnum Mosin. Here are 2 pictures of were I'm at so far. My batteries died in my camera or there would have been more.I relocated the bolt handle to the rear and did my 8-) Micro Striker upgrade, thank you Tomas. I'm still not sure were I'm going with the bi pod. I have the cheek riser and rear stock monopod to make. My length of pull on this stock is set at 12 inches because I'm shooting with a coat on most of the time.

SWFA 16X42MM SS scope
Rock Solid scope mount [picatinney type]
Green Mountain barrel bore - .491 --- groove - .500 groove
Timney trigger
Limbsaver Recoil Pad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shepard

Postby Gamecock24 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:15 am

Looking good Jerry. Did you decide against dimpling the barrel?
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Shepard » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:54 am

I've been toying with an idea for a while now. Its the same idea as we all want --- adding a removable magazine. I have to talk to the folks that run the Owego Heat Treat plant and find out what the composition of the forging that was turned into our receivers. I'm trying to find out what type of steel [4140 - 4130 or what ever] I need to be able to weld on my receiver and then have it heat treated. I'm a welder in part of my trade, used to be certified. I want to add metal to the bottom in width and length so to machine open the magazine port in the bottom of the receiver. I'm also contemplating closing the stripper clip and adding to the side wall to enclose the whole receiver. It will most likely be annealed to soften it. Then 2 people together -- one welding --- one run a torch to keep the whole receiver hot -- do the necessary welding and metal grafting under heat -- then bury it in sand so it cools real slow so it doesn't warp. If all goes well I will be able to do all my machine work while it's soft. When I'm finished its off to the heat treat. Now your asking your self if I'm nuts -- most likely not but maybe. Here are some interesting pictures I took of an AR 10 round mag with S&W 500 Mag rounds in it. They will fit perfectly after the floor plate is worked on to make it flat. I'm going to use a poly magazine cause the metal one scratched the brass to much for my taste. Also I feel the spring is way to stiff for the job.
Shepard

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum