It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:45 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Reloading Components & Equipment Forum

New from Alliant Powder : Reloader 16 - Ultra temp stable

Reloading components and gear for sale or trade

New from Alliant Powder : Reloader 16 - Ultra temp stable

Postby Grindl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:38 am

This caught my eye on Accurateshooter.com the other day . A blurb article from the Shot Show that was talking about new products mentioned a new / revised powder from Alliant Powder . "Reloader 16".

The reason it got my attention was they stated it was just slightly faster than the 4350 powders and in the same pressure range as the 4350 powders . But the best part of this new formula was the increase in temperature stability , claiming it was the most temp stable powder ever created .

Definitely worth looking into if temperature changes can become a issue in your area .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 190 times
Kudos  Received: 115 times
Medals: 1
NRA Member (1)

Re: New from Alliant Powder : Reloader 16 - Ultra temp stabl

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:48 pm

Sounds like it might make a good Mosin powder
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 360 times
Kudos  Received: 272 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:46 pm

I thought so , too ...I contacted Alliant , and they gave me the information that this powder won't be out on the market for three to four months , and probably longer in some areas .

More bad news from Alliant . Their "tech" rep said that since the 7.62x54r cartridge wasn't a SAMMI spec cartridge / load , there would be no base load data coming from Alliant any time in the future .

Guess that means if we want to buy their product , and use it . We're on our own for doing all of the research and testing , to use it in our Mosin's. But they do want us to buy their product .
Seriously ?.....Think I'll stick with Hogdens for 4350 , 4891 and Varget , or any other powder needs . At least they have M-N load data on their site . IMHO ; I support those companies that support my needs , as a consumer , and I didn't get that attitude from Alliant . Thought this product would be one more item in the M-N arsenal , but I guess I spoke to soon . I know I won't be buying any of it , at least not in this life-time . Nor any other Alliant products . :thumbdown:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 190 times
Kudos  Received: 115 times
Medals: 1
NRA Member (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:47 am

Alliant may not do any testing with it but it may show up in some load books later. I don't blame you on your stance with them though. I'm the same way a lot. The description almost sounds like they've made their own version of Varget. If I see some before Varget I may try some. My Mosin LOVES Varget but I haven't seen any for sale for 4 years. I don't have much left and have really been conserving it.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 360 times
Kudos  Received: 272 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Reloading Components & Equipment Forum