It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:00 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

Primers...Good...Better...Best ?

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Primers...Good...Better...Best ?

Postby Grindl » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:38 am

Want to put this out for discussion as there are many thoughts and opinions regarding which type primer is considered the best for L/R and accuracy at Long Ranges .
Standard Large Rifle Primer
Magnum Large Rifle Primer
BR2 Large Rifle Primer
Each seems to have "some advantage" , combined with changes and variations in load weights , and bullet type and weight .
Which type primer do you use for Long Range , and what is the thought , reasoning , and data for that choice ?
Since all M-N's are different creatures and shoot individually , I don't think anyone will be giving away any ancient Chinese secrets .Please list the following so we can all learn from this and save a lot of time and money regarding load development .
Cartridge
Powder load
Bullet
OAL
Maybe one small piece of information you supply can turn another members 3 or 4 moa rifle to sub-moa , and that's a "win" for all of us . Thanks , Grindl
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Primers...Good...Better...Best ?

Postby Shepard » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:02 pm

I've used several brands of primers and like Federals the best of all brands. I've experimented with standard and magnum primers and found the you can get results using magnum primers and a little less powder.
OAL is established by measuring each chamber and "Long Loading" so the bullet is off the lands by .014.
My most accurate load is 50.3gr of IMR4350 over a standard Federal 210 primer under a 175gr SMK. OAL is 3.015
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Primers...Good...Better...Best ?

Postby holescreek » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:34 pm

My Mosin and Mauser builds use the same barrel blank and chamber reamer and consequently shoot almost identically with the same load of 53.5gr of 4350 behind a 174gr SMK bullet. I use some very old CCI 200 primers I've had in my stash for maybe 20 years. I also got good 200 yard results with 44gr of Varget.

I wanted to test those loads along with some 150gr pro hunters through one of my PSL's that also shared the barrel blank source and reamer but the shots were all over the place due to punctured primers. I got one decent group (1 1/8" not great) when I had five 150gr shots in a row that didn't pierce the primers.

I've been old that CCI#34 primers are harder, just need to locate some locally.
Random avatar
holescreek
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 22 times

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum