It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

Some reloading

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Some reloading

Postby Grimstod » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Here are some things I have been up to.

Testing out the Speer 150 SP compared to the Sierra 150 SP

Some berger 185gr bullets. These things are wicked.

Trying out a new powder. Will use volume based measuring with it and the lee loader I got.

Some GS Custom bullets. They are so amazing and accurate. It just blows my mind. They really are worth the money.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 291 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Some reloading

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:30 am

760 is one of my FAVORITE powders of all time.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:25 am

Grimstod wrote:Trying out a new powder. Will use volume based measuring with it and the lee loader I got.

Ben, if you are referring to the lee powder measure like the one I have, you need to weigh some loads until you get the measure throwing the weight you want. You can't go by the numbers marked on the powder measure because different powders are more dense and weigh different by volume. Two powders of identical volume, one May weigh 40 grains while the other is 50 grains.

I'm sure you already know that , but I figured I'd say it just to be safe since it is a potentially dangerous situation. And you never know when other readers may not know.

Btw I found that out with Varget. It apparently is very dense. I have to set my measure at 23 grains to throw a 35 grain charge.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Agreed, ball power will not measure out the same weight as flake with those little powder scoops. Be careful to weigh them out first before you load them up. Better to be safe than sorry

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Grimstod » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:24 am

ShootnMathews wrote:
Grimstod wrote:Trying out a new powder. Will use volume based measuring with it and the lee loader I got.

Ben, if you are referring to the lee powder measure like the one I have, you need to weigh some loads until you get the measure throwing the weight you want. You can't go by the numbers marked on the powder measure because different powders are more dense and weigh different by volume. Two powders of identical volume, one May weigh 40 grains while the other is 50 grains.

I'm sure you already know that , but I figured I'd say it just to be safe since it is a potentially dangerous situation. And you never know when other readers may not know.

Btw I found that out with Varget. It apparently is very dense. I have to set my measure at 23 grains to throw a 35 grain charge.

Jared

Ohh dont worry I know better then that. Always load by weigh. Not clicks. :thumbup:
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 291 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:20 am

Grimstod wrote:
ShootnMathews wrote:

Jared

Ohh dont worry I know better then that. Always load by weigh. Not clicks. :thumbup:

I was pretty sure you knew but you never know when a reader lurking around might not know.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum