It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

Some reloading

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Some reloading

Postby Grimstod » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Here are some things I have been up to.

Testing out the Speer 150 SP compared to the Sierra 150 SP
Image

Some berger 185gr bullets. These things are wicked.
Image

Trying out a new powder. Will use volume based measuring with it and the lee loader I got.
Image

Some GS Custom bullets. They are so amazing and accurate. It just blows my mind. They really are worth the money.
Image
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
User avatar
Grimstod
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:53 pm
Location: Upstate NY
Kudos Given: 291 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Some reloading

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:30 am

760 is one of my FAVORITE powders of all time.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
User avatar
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:29 pm
Location: USA
Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Some reloading

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:25 am

Grimstod wrote:Trying out a new powder. Will use volume based measuring with it and the lee loader I got.


Ben, if you are referring to the lee powder measure like the one I have, you need to weigh some loads until you get the measure throwing the weight you want. You can't go by the numbers marked on the powder measure because different powders are more dense and weigh different by volume. Two powders of identical volume, one May weigh 40 grains while the other is 50 grains.

I'm sure you already know that , but I figured I'd say it just to be safe since it is a potentially dangerous situation. And you never know when other readers may not know.

Btw I found that out with Varget. It apparently is very dense. I have to set my measure at 23 grains to throw a 35 grain charge.

Jared
User avatar
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 pm
Location: WV
Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Some reloading

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Agreed, ball power will not measure out the same weight as flake with those little powder scoops. Be careful to weigh them out first before you load them up. Better to be safe than sorry

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
User avatar
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:29 pm
Location: USA
Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Some reloading

Postby Grimstod » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:24 am

ShootnMathews wrote:
Grimstod wrote:Trying out a new powder. Will use volume based measuring with it and the lee loader I got.


Ben, if you are referring to the lee powder measure like the one I have, you need to weigh some loads until you get the measure throwing the weight you want. You can't go by the numbers marked on the powder measure because different powders are more dense and weigh different by volume. Two powders of identical volume, one May weigh 40 grains while the other is 50 grains.

I'm sure you already know that , but I figured I'd say it just to be safe since it is a potentially dangerous situation. And you never know when other readers may not know.

Btw I found that out with Varget. It apparently is very dense. I have to set my measure at 23 grains to throw a 35 grain charge.

Jared


Ohh dont worry I know better then that. Always load by weigh. Not clicks. :thumbup:
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
User avatar
Grimstod
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:53 pm
Location: Upstate NY
Kudos Given: 291 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Some reloading

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:20 am

Grimstod wrote:
ShootnMathews wrote:
Grimstod wrote:Trying out a new powder. Will use volume based measuring with it and the lee loader I got.


Ben, if you are referring to the lee powder measure like the one I have, you need to weigh some loads until you get the measure throwing the weight you want. You can't go by the numbers marked on the powder measure because different powders are more dense and weigh different by volume. Two powders of identical volume, one May weigh 40 grains while the other is 50 grains.

I'm sure you already know that , but I figured I'd say it just to be safe since it is a potentially dangerous situation. And you never know when other readers may not know.

Btw I found that out with Varget. It apparently is very dense. I have to set my measure at 23 grains to throw a 35 grain charge.

Jared


Ohh dont worry I know better then that. Always load by weigh. Not clicks. :thumbup:

I was pretty sure you knew but you never know when a reader lurking around might not know.
User avatar
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 pm
Location: WV
Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)


Return to Advanced Reloading Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

Search

User Menu

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:29 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests