It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:53 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

*tip* tough carbon on case neck

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Re: *tip* tough carbon on case neck

Postby Grimstod » Sun May 25, 2014 7:50 pm

I ordered one from MidwayUSA but after the NY safe act clicked in they canceled all orders to New York :cry:
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 291 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Shepard » Sun May 25, 2014 10:06 pm

I think I might try one of the cheap ones to see if I like it. I like the looks of the brass from the tumbler but it can be cleaner on the inside as been said. I like to keep the cases polished up to a point so you can track cracks or fractures. If it has scratches on them you might miss a cracked case. I like how out of all the high tech cleaners the good old vinegar and soap wins. How much noise do these units make?
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grimstod » Mon May 26, 2014 3:57 am

About the same as a tumbler.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 291 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:55 am

I recently did some work on a friends SKS , and saved him a rather large bill at the gunsmith , and he asked me if I had any interest in a Ultra-sonic cleaner ? Why not , says I .
He brings me a Sharper-Tek cleaner , minus manual , and says, "It's all yours , I have another". Come to find out these things run between $500/800 dollars , and I nearly fell out the chair .
Some days are just better than others.... :lol: :lol: I've ordered the manual , and have printed off the article Grimstod posted from accurateshooter , so one more goal is being accomplished , thanks to all the guys here at socamo . Great site . Fantastic , knowledgeable people and a library of information... :clap: :clap: :clap:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:19 am

Ultrasonics can be purchased rather cheaply through Harbor freight and Tools. They have other uses other than guns so shipping to New York shouldn't be an issue. In fact I use my Hornady ultrasonic to clean my wife's Jewelery as well as my brass.

In regards to the Alcohol waste, Alcohol is water soluble and can be diluted with plan water. In fact if left uncovered it will pull water out of the air. You can see when it's burned as small droplets that are left. If your really concerned about the left over waste, you could pour the stuff through a coffee filter and pull out a ton of the solids. These you would have left over anyway from any cleaning operation. They simply would be in your media instead of the alcohol.

Then you could either burn off the now filtered used alcohol or simply dilute it in water to the point that it no longer presents an issue and dump it.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:54 am

I've been using the ultra-sonic cleaner for a couple months now to clean mostly pistol cases, (.40 cal & 9mm ) for friends , and to play with the mix to get better results .

A shooting buddy brought me some AR cases (desert pick-ups) that were heaviy "smoked" at the neck area , as was described by ShootnMatthews and it gave me a chance to see if the problem could be dealt with , using the cleaner method , only .
I used the "Clean" only instructions that has been working very well on normally "used" cases , and they came out as expected . Clean ; but still with heavy carbon & smoked around the neck area . So...Before taking this batch through the rinsing cycles , I thought , "What the heck",they're "throw-aways" anyway....and ran them through another 20 minute cycle without changing the solution in the beekers . The result was good , as the cases were markedly cleaner at the neck area , and there was only a hint of smokiness (dis-coloration) left behind . We reloaded these cases with 25.5gr of Benchmark and they shot extremely good tight groups and cycled through his Daniel Defense AR without issue..They also cleaned up even better when we cleaned them after that reload and firing .
I don't know if running them through the longer cycle would have any adverse effect on cases from a strength stand point , but they are currently on their third reload cycle , and we are monitoring them closely for any negatives as they are being used . My "bud" says he feels they are "running" through the gun better than , or as good as anything he has used previously . BTW , the longer cycle also had the added benefit of cleaning the insides of every case beautifully , all the way to the bottom . And we are only running them for a 30 minute cycle now .
I've used this process to clean over five thousand pistol cases , and about a thousand AR cases , and I have learned one thing about it over-all . Clean works much better in semi-auto weapons , than "Shiny". For what-ever reason , "Shiny" seems to cause mis-feeds and "jams" on semi-auto's . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:01 pm

Going to renew an old thread here. I don't have as much trouble with most of my brass but my 6.5-284 brass has been getting pretty dirty inside so I did some more reading. Apparently just tumbling with walnut shells or corncob media can with some powders cause an almost gumming up of the powder residue forming a cake like layer. Nasty as it sounds that's what I ended up with in my cases. With my other calibers I have noticed a little dust layer in them from tumbling but I'd just blow them out and go on. Well with my 6.5-284, I don't know if it's from the overbore cartridge or the powder I use in it but the layer inside appeared to just be getting thicker over time.

So I finally just broke down and bought an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor frieght. I used the mixture the guy devised in his trials in the article Grim posted a few threads back. These cases were so dirty inside that I had to run the entire process twice just to get them to 95% clean inside. After the first run I looked inside them with a flashlight and you could see from clean and dirty spots just how thick the layer was. Especially at the base. It almost looked 1mm thick. My guess is that whenever I get that unexpected flyer it's got something to do with either a burn rate change, pressure change, or poor ignition do to this gumming up in the case.

Anyways the "cheap and clean" recipe that he came up with works GREAT :thumbup: No longer will I tumble my brass. This will be my new cleaning method. If i do any tumbling from here out it will be with stainless pins.

Oh and the brass looks great coming out of this process. Most of them are completely clean inside with only a few holding a little powder residue. But I'll get that soon with a buddies stainless media. The Outside of the cases look just as clean and shiny as when I tumbled them. Some of the carbon on the case necks appeared to not be coming off but I rubbed my finger on it and it came right off on my finger. So any cases I saw that looked like that I just wiped it off with a rag real quick and threw them back in with the others.

By the way, the guy in Grims post used beakers to do his brass in. That's a little too high tech for me. And too small. I cut the bottom off of a milk jug and it worked great. Did not inhibit the ultrasonic agitation at all.

Anyways, good shooting and keep'em in the x ring.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:51 pm

I too have an ultrasonic cleaner and it does ok for what it is, but I just wasn't satisfied with the results... so I broke down and bought a wet stainless steel pin tumbler and now I only use my sonic cleaner for my suppressor. The wet tumbling is the way to go, 100% cleans the brass!
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:20 pm

farmerboy78 wrote:I too have an ultrasonic cleaner and it does ok for what it is, but I just wasn't satisfied with the results... so I broke down and bought a wet stainless steel pin tumbler and now I only use my sonic cleaner for my suppressor. The wet tumbling is the way to go, 100% cleans the brass!

I agree that would be the way to go ultimately, but I can't afford the coin for one of those right now. I got the ultrasonic from harbor freight for $60. It will work until I can afford a steel pin wet tumbler. I may get some pins to dry tumble. I suppose you can do that?

The cleaning process that guy in Grim's post came up with for the ultrasonic works extremely well.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Hey Jared ; I ran across some very nice , looked to be once fired PPU cases , out in the desert and brought them home . Who leaves decent Mosin brass behind , anywhere ? When I inspected them ; they were smoked-up on the neck pretty heavy , so I thought they would be good to play with , on my mixture . I use the same recipe , but the "Clean Only" part . I increased the amount of vinegar to 65% , from 50% , and added a 1/8 teaspoon of Sea Salt to each beaker of 40 cases . Ran them for thirty minutes and they came out pretty good . Don't know if it was the extra vinegar , or the Sea Salt , but they were much improved , and the residual was easily wiped off...We seem to have a lot of younger shooters in the area who don't think picking up their brass is necessary . I don't mind when you find the ammo boxes left behind , too . Gives that once-fired , impression . And saves me a lot of money. :shh:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Previous

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum