It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:31 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Range Reports

500 meters, surprise video and comparing reloads, '43 sniper

Show off your groups here

500 meters, surprise video and comparing reloads, '43 sniper

Postby Ombre noire » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi guys
A friend of mine made a short video when I was comparing some loads at 500 meters; I thought it could be of some interest for a few Mosin-Nagant shooters.
It was the 1st time I was shooting the Accurate 4350 (I shot it at 100, 10 minutes before going to 500 meters, just to make sure it was similar to the Varget loads).
I had no idea my friend was going to show up with a couple od video cameras, so what you see is how it went, except that I shot a couple of rounds prior to the start of the video, as I had no written dope for 500 meters (I did wrote down dope for 300, from a previous session).
My friend did a good job filming and editing, we made a couple of little mistakes, when it shows a hit before I send the round, or when I say that my bullets are at 24 FPS, that would be more like 2400 FPS (by the manuals) but who's counting ;)
As the wind was blowing pretty good, especially by the target and was inconsistent (got to love that too), it was not the best day for accurate shooting but the purpose of this range session was to see if these powders and loads were similar, as far as reaching a target at 500 meters (I was switching from Varget to Accurate loads during the filming).
My elevation was set at 4.8, windage was at 2.
As mentioned before, this was a surprise to me and I did not have a "speech" or anything planned to be on camera. Here is the link to the video.

It was a new experience, shooting under the eye of a camera but once you get behind the scope, nothing else really matters. You just hope you are not going to miss too many shots.
No matter what, it was a good day at the range :thumbup:

Ombre noire
Carpe Diem
Random avatar
Ombre noire
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 14 times
Medals: 1
Video Award (1)

Re: 500 meters, surprise video and comparing reloads, '43 sn

Postby Grimstod » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Great looking video man. Nicely edited too. I love swing thes guns get fired.
Great work on the titles too
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 291 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Shepard » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:05 am

Nicely done, I like the picture in picture feature. You definitely look to be having a grand time. Have you had the opportunity to shoot IMR4350? I load 54gr under a 174 gr SMK oal 3.015 and get 2650 FPS.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Ombre noire » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:19 am

Grimstod wrote:Great looking video man. Nicely edited too. I love swing thes guns get fired.
Great work on the titles too

Thanks Grimstod, I will show you comments to my friend, I did not know he was going to put so much work into it and yes, it is always a blast to shoot the Mosin-Nagant, especially the sniper version.
Carpe Diem
Random avatar
Ombre noire
Sniper
Sniper

Video Award (1)

Postby 0933 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:58 am

Great shooting Ivan!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very well done video! I love the fact that there are two screens showing the shooter and impact in real time! 8-)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Ombre noire » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:05 am

Shepard wrote:Nicely done, I like the picture in picture feature. You definitely look to be having a grand time. Have you had the opportunity to shoot IMR4350? I load 54gr under a 174 gr SMK oal 3.015 and get 2650 FPS.

Thanks Shepard, we all had a good time that day. I do not have IMR4350 yet but it is one of the powders that I will try. If I recall properly, I actually took the specs of the IMR4350 from the Sierra Manual, as the Accurate 4350 was not on the list. I thought (and hoped) that the specs of the Accurate 4350 would be somewhat close enough to the IMR4350 specs but I loaded somewhat mild, just in case the Accurate would have been "hotter". This morning, I am in the process of loading 30 rounds of PPU brass, 210 primers, SMK BTHP 174 gr, .311 diameter with the same 52.5 gr of Accurate 4350 and will go within the next few days to try these loads at 960 yards, to see how they will match with the elevation turret set at 8.8. The Varget loads at 44.6 were on target at 8.8 for 960 yards, which is where it should be (960 yards is 878 meters). That is at around 0600 in Vegas, when temp is in the 70's F. I did not bother (yet) checking out humidity or density altitude, even though it starts to make a little difference at these distances. For now, I am just having fun, enjoying shooting my rifle in the early morning; it is so peaceful out there, good therapy :thumbup:
One of the next powder I will try will be W760, I will have to look for specs but I do have 8 lbs of it. I think some shooters used to load their 30-06 with it, with good results. I am always in the dark with the FPS of my reloads, as I spend most of my $$ in reloading components and always delay the purchase of a Chrony (about the price of an 8 pounder), I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get my butt in gear on that matter.
Out to reload, I will let my friend know of your good words on his filming/editing.
have fun and good shooting ;)
Carpe Diem
Random avatar
Ombre noire
Sniper
Sniper

Video Award (1)

Postby Ombre noire » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:23 am

0933 wrote:Great shooting Ivan!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very well done video! I love the fact that there are two screens showing the shooter and impact in real time! 8-)

Thanks T.
Good to hear from you.
My friend Mark is great at that stuff; he also has the equipment to film at 2000 + yards (and further), the cameras, antennas, monitor screens, batteries...That's even better that what you saw on that video. We shot at a mile + and you have an instant report of your POI, minus the 3 or 4 secs that it takes for the bullet to reach the target. It is like watching TV, except that it is better, as you are the one shooting :thumbup:
Carpe Diem
Random avatar
Ombre noire
Sniper
Sniper

Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:50 am

I get some information from here. Helps me to understand where the burn rate of a powder is compared to what I know first hand. You may already have something like this --- but knowledge is forever.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Ombre noire » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Shepard wrote:I get some information from here. Helps me to understand where the burn rate of a powder is compared to what I know first hand. You may already have something like this --- but knowledge is forever.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

I did not know of that chart but I am going to make a couple of copies, stick one by my reloading bench and keep the other one by the computer, so I can check first hand on what other guys are using and where their powders rank on that chart and see what's what.
My friend Mark, who made the video, slowed down on is shooting/reloading, in order to take it easy on his Varget. I do not want to have to do this, I like shooting. This is one of the reasons why I am looking for a Powder Plan B, C and D, + it is always good to know anyway.
This is good info, thanks Shepard :thumbup:
Carpe Diem
Random avatar
Ombre noire
Sniper
Sniper

Video Award (1)

Return to Range Reports