It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:04 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Long Range Shooters Discussion

Hornady ELD-X

Mosin Long Range Shooting Discussion. F Class and other topics such as equipment and more.

Hornady ELD-X

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Have any of your seen the new Hornady ELD-X? It's a new long range match bullet designed for hunting. They are in .308" diameter of course. My Mosin slugs at .309" and shot 150 grain .308" bullets at about 3/4-7/8" at 100 yards. I think the 220 grain .308 eldx will have enough bearing surface to shoot well out of my gun and be a great hunting load too. I haven't shot a deer with the 174 SMK. I know a lot of people do hunt with the 175 gn 308" SMK. But I just have been too Leary to try it. I just hate to shoot a deer with a target bullet. That 220 grain bullet should buck the wind like a champ too. I may pick up some of them in 208 grain or 220. I'll have to do a little more research first.

Right now I am shooting a very mild load with the SMK, 2400 fps, because after that my groups open up. If I could shoot the 208 or 220 at a max load and still get 2400 fps and sub MOA accuracy and be a hunting bullet that would just be swell.

It will be a while before I get into these. Working on loads for two other guns right now. I just wanted to see if you all have looked into them
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Hornady ELD-X

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Just did some checking and H4831 and 4350 both should get me to 2400 fps with a 24" barrel. Which mine is 25.5" so 2400 fps with a little room for load tweaking should be no problem.

I ran the numbers thru Shooter and was floored :o the 174 grn Matchking and 220 grn eldx both at 2400 fps. The eldx at 1000 yards has 60" LESS drop and retains 150 fps MORE than the 174 grain SMK. That is hard to believe but I do know lighter bullets lose speed faster so it makes sense. The ELD also has 27" less wind drift at 1000 in a 10 mph wind. The ELD-X also stays supersonic for another 175 yards.

I will definitely give these a shot when I have time.

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby jaysny87 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:27 am

Wow sounds like you'll be getting some of those eldx bullets.
I was excited about them when they did the release but now I'm a little tiffed. They are discontinuing the 7mm 162gr. Amax that I love and who knows when the eldx will hit the shelf as a substitution.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 pm

jaysny87 wrote:Wow sounds like you'll be getting some of those eldx bullets.
I was excited about them when they did the release but now I'm a little tiffed. They are discontinuing the 7mm 162gr. Amax that I love and who knows when the eldx will hit the shelf as a substitution.

The ELD X are a new bullet with inter bond technology and the new heat resistant tip. The ELD match bullets are supposedly the amax bullets with the tip replaced. Well several people have compared the two and say they are the same in different calibers and sizes. But that's only word of mouth. The ELD X are for sure completely new designs though.

I don't have any news yet if the ELD match have been loaded in place of their amax and whether or not they shot the same. I'll post some news on that when I have it.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grimstod » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 am

There is an article in NRA riflemans magazing about them. Sings a lot of prase. The BC in bergers 210gr 308 bullet is still much higher though and it is hunting worthy. My lacal shop has three boxes of them fro 45$ ea. been tempted to try them in my 54r Improved. But i would loose a lot of case copacity because I cannot load very long.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:44 am

Glad to see you back Grim

I was a big fan of the Bergers but have faded away. They've had some expansion issues lately. I don't know if they changed the alloy the jackets are made with or what. Several people have reported bullets penciling through game without expanding. Many more people say they've had no problems but still there is lots of reports of failures coming in. I for the most part only hunt what I consider trophy animals here and just don't want to take a chance. I was loading Bergers in my 6.5-284 and shot two deer with those. The first one was at about 75 yards and the bullet exploded, leaving a 6" exit. The second deer was 200-250 yards and the bullet penciled through with a smaller than dime sized exit. I actually looked for several minutes just to find the exit. No blood trail whatsoever. I was lucky that it only went about 100 yards but others are not even finding their game in several reports. I think the sheer hydrostatic shock that the bullet had created enough internal damage to be fatal without the bullet expanding much. The velocity was over 3000 still on impact. My muzzle velocity with those VLD was 3150 fps.

That's one reason I am excited to try these. For a long time I wanted to try the Accubond Long Range but even though they've been on the market for over two years I have not been able to find one single box to buy. These ELD -X have just been released and are already coming available.

Anyways. I'm excited to try these new bullets. I'm a big fan of "Gunwerks" and trust their judgement. And they have switched from Bergers to the ELD -X due to a couple failures in hunting situations. I watched them take some antelope out to 880 yards with some impressive expansion still. One guy killed a cow elk at 1390 yards and still got some fair expansion. The bullet only expanded about a third of the way back but was still twice the starting diameter. The offside shoulder caught the bullet. It was a quick clean kill.

With my Mosin shooting the .308" 150 grain Noslers sub MOA I think the longer bearing surface on these will allow me to shoot the 220 ELD X at sub MOA and it will buck the wind well and hit like a tank. All with 5' less drop at 1000 than my 174 SMK load. That's a significant difference.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grimstod » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:24 pm

How long can you load your bullets in that Mosin?

I never have left. Just dont really chack in as much. Maybe once a week I do. Mostly for stuff that interests me do I pop in. Lol

I wish Money was not as tight. I would have perchased another barrel amd a set of reamers to work more on a 7mm 54r improved.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Grimstod wrote:How long can you load your bullets in that Mosin?

I never have left. Just dont really chack in as much. Maybe once a week I do. Mostly for stuff that interests me do I pop in. Lol

I wish Money was not as tight. I would have perchased another barrel amd a set of reamers to work more on a 7mm 54r improved.

How long I can load and hem depends on the bullet diameter. .308" bullets load at a much longer length than .312". I have not measured the mag as far as how long it will hold. With the .308" 150 noslers I was shooting they were WAY short of the lands. Like 3/8". But still shot about 3/4" at 100 yards.

A 7mm 54 improved would be an awesome cartridge. I'd say near the perfect cartridge in my opinion. Have it throated for like 168 grain bullets. Be an awesome load.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:21 am

I just noticed that the 212 ELD-X has a higher BC than the 220. I ran it through shooter and if I can get it to group well at 2400 fps or more it will be awesome.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:05 pm

Glad to see this looks as promising for .308 guys as I thought it might . I had posted in the Ammo & Reloading about it back in November . Saw a new Hornady commercial the other day on Outdoor Channel and it said something about best expansion rate being somewhere around 2600-2640 fps., if I heard it right . Pretty sure they were making reference to hunting application , Jared . Might want to check into that..Momma was kind of ; in my ear , at the time , and I didn't hear it all.
Guess I'm gonna have to build a .308 gun , cause this sure is a "reach out & touch ya" , bullet . All the data says it should be excellent for extending the accurate range on a M-N.
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 197 times
Kudos  Received: 143 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Next

Return to Long Range Shooters Discussion