It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:00 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Gun Clubs and Club Shoots

how about a so cal mosin meet

OK it was suggested that we have an area for Gun Clubs so advertise your Club activities here. CMP activities etc

Re: how about a so cal mosin meet

Postby notabiker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:40 pm

i would love to do oak tree on a friday, i doubt we would get much of a turn out. the weekend is better for most. i am ok with 100 yards. at that distance i might hit something. if we could get 20 people with maybe 50 Mosins on the firing line that would be unreal. :D maybe we can have a Wendex cleaning party and pass around the vodka. :lol: :lol:
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 pm

OK I just got off the phone with the Angeles Shooting Range, while they don't have all the amenities that Oaktree does they do offer a long range rifle range.
Angeles Shooting Range
The fees are going to be 150.00 for the whole day or 75.00 for half day. +12 per shooter for insurance. We need a certified instructor so either we provide one or it's $16.00 per hour.

The rifle range looks impressive however

They don't allow steel.. BUT the rifle range does go out to 600 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 348 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby cwilliams » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 pm

I just got back from shooting for several hours at Oak Tree. It's a GREAT range with a very friendly staff. I had no problem shooting my surplus ammo. In fact, no one even asked or checked to see what I was using. I highly recommend this place to anyone, even if it is only out to 100 yards. I personally was only shooting at the 50 yard mark because I didn't have a spotting scope to check where I was hitting. They had a mixture of everything from .22 to .50 BMG on the range. I can't tell you how happy I am to have a place so close to my house that I can shoot and enjoy some old military guns.

Here's what any person should bring to this range -

1. Rifle
2. All the necessary safety gear - eyes, ears, etc.
3. Water, lots of it. It's a covered area, but the sun still gets through and bakes you a bit. That's one way to get the cosmo off the stock of these old guns!
4. A small towel to wipe all the melting cosmo off.
5. Sunscreen if you are shooting during the day. You face the range almost due west.
6. Shooting rest or sandbag if you plan to sit down (they have none available)
7. Spotting scope
8. Your own targets unless you want to buy theirs. They have their own stands and backs.
9. Duct tape and/or a staple gun to pin the targets on the backs. Trust me, have one or the other. They had masking tape that didn't like to hold very well
10. Other targets of interest if you have them. They shot an exploding target with the .50 BMG, so I can't imagine they would have a problem with some water jugs, bowling pins, fruit, etc. I didn't ask this question to the RSO, so be prepared with paper targets just in case.
11. LOTS of ammo. SURPLUS IS ALLOWED! Face it, you are going to stay there for more than an hour. Your arm can take it!
12. Optional - a hand gun to use at the steel pistol range or any of their bays. Your $20 range fee allows you full use of that as well.
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby USSR » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:10 am

I thought the biggest caliber allowed in Cali was .416.
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

how about a so cal mosin meet

Postby cwilliams » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:47 am

If you owned the .50 before the ban, you can still own and use it. There are just no new sales or imports.

That is one hell of a thud when it goes off. They warned everyone when it was hot. Although I have to say the Mosin was a good head turner as well. :)
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby notabiker » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:50 am

this place is a must do for me. i have lots of ranges closer BUT
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Postby USSR » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:10 am

cwilliams wrote:If you owned the .50 before the ban, you can still own and use it. There are just no new sales or imports.

That is one hell of a thud when it goes off. They warned everyone when it was hot. Although I have to say the Mosin was a good head turner as well. :)

My .50 shows up today so ill find out all about that. not many around me have them so its gonna be a magnet at the range...
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Postby Red Guards » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:48 am

Great idea for a gathering. Perhaps in the future we could do a non range shoot out in the scrub between S.D. and L.A. and truck pool to the location?
Red Guards

Postby Kris smith » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:56 am

I'm also interested if it's not to far from San Diego got a Hungarian m44 and an izzy 91/30 ex dragoon
Random avatar
Kris smith

Postby notabiker » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:58 am

Red Guards wrote:Great idea for a gathering. Perhaps in the future we could do a non range shoot out in the scrub between S.D. and L.A. and truck pool to the location?

good idea, i am even up for a coffee shop meet and greet. have a burger and BS all things mosin.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Clubs and Club Shoots