It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:38 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

M/N bolt connector-guide bar

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

M/N bolt connector-guide bar

Postby Bob the nailer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Is there any tuning other than polishing up the lower rails to smooth bolt travel with guide bar? Some heavy machining marks on the under side of mine. How much can be removed from the underside (between rails) of connector-guide bar, just curious after working the bolt and thinking about smoothing things up.

Freggin Mosins already have me thinking of another build...next one will be a hex receiver.
Bob the nailer
One ragged hole!
The Quest for accuracy continues

www.knowyourzero.com
Bob the nailer
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 14 times

Re: M/N bolt connector-guide bar

Postby Grindl » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:47 pm

Bob ; It kind of goes back to that comment that every M-N is different , but I have two bolts , and the milling marks are not , or should not be any issue as they are "clearanced" enough not to be a issue . The slider block rides in a track between the rails , and down into the corner. And not close to the bottom . I had the same thought until I saw the spacing . Now if you want to make it pretty for aesthetics ; well ..... :thumbup:

Blue it up ; and see if it is leaving any "witness" or drag marks when it's operated in the receiver . That should tell you what you need to know . I decided not to spend time on it , but I did polish the side rails to a gloss with Simi-chrome polish / Dremel .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 198 times
Kudos  Received: 144 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Bob the nailer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:51 am

Thanks I'll polish up the rails then.
Bob the nailer
One ragged hole!

www.knowyourzero.com
Bob the nailer
Marksman
Marksman

Postby jaysny87 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:26 am

Bob the nailer wrote:Freggin Mosins already have me thinking of another build...next one will be a hex receiver.

It never ends. There are too many possibilities. :think:
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 42 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:24 pm

Well I've looked at that seriously before, I came to the conclusion that the machine marks in between the rails only come into play when your either charging the round or extracting it. The trigger sear typically rides on that until it engages. When you pull the trigger the sear falls away and doesn't have any contact again until you release the trigger.

If you have an extremely ruff guide bar you'll feel it in the trigger as you close the bolt (PLEASE DO THIS WITHOUT AMMO) you'll feel the trigger catching as the bolt is moved into either the open or closed position. Guide bars are cheap and you can find one that has less tool marks and swap it out.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Bob the nailer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:18 pm

I coated mine with marker and cycled the bolt several times (No Ammo) no scrape marks from the sear so it's just a cosmetic issue.

Thanks for the reply's.
Bob the nailer
One ragged hole!

www.knowyourzero.com
Bob the nailer
Marksman
Marksman

Postby rjmt » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:09 am

Bob, building Mosins can be addictive.
out of 8, only one of my bars shows the machining marks your speaking of. Since I had bent the sear spring "Finn mod", the sear was dragging and making an annoying noise. Polishing it didn't affect the operation of the trigger, infact coating with Lubriplate quieted it down more than the dremmel polishing did.

that's the uniqueness of Mosins, no two are the same, even from the same armory. Have Hex and round, Ishevsk and Tula. I find the Tula's of better finish and fit.

Happy Turkey Day

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos  Received: 38 times
Medals: 2
Nice Build Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum