It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:12 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

A Virgin Finn M-28 ? I'm Dreamin

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

A Virgin Finn M-28 ? I'm Dreamin

Postby Grindl » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Recently made a deal to purchase a Finn M-28 from a Veteran friend and am currently waiting, (not patiently, lol) for him to bring it to me on his next trip out here . He told me the only thing he knew to be wrong with it was the barrel had been , "shot out" and he didn't know why...After-all ; they only shot Russian milsurp ammo in it and the rifling was pretty well worn out .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah ; I laughed a lot , too .

Because the barrel is "gone" : and will have to be replaced , I figure this is a perfect canidate for a major build project and would like to have any and all suggestions on stocks , barrels , and anything else . Trigger will be a Timney and Scope will be either a Vortex PST 6-24x50 or a Millet .

This will be my first wood stock build ; and wood is not a medium I have a lot of skill with , so any guidance , directions or advice will be greatfully received & appreciated . I'm sure there are some "how-to" publications on all of this , but I really don't even know where to begin looking for them , cause of all the , Buy this one , or buy that book , or buy this c.d. cause that's what "they" are selling . I trust you guys ; cause the people on this site have built some of the most beautiful and accurate rifles I've ever seen... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks ....
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 198 times
Kudos  Received: 144 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: A Virgin Finn M-28 ? I'm Dreamin

Postby farmerboy78 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:16 pm

I will comment as far as the stock and scope goes, I like bluegrass stocks but the recoil tends to make the barrel end of the rifle jump due to the buttock geometry. I love the big gorilla stock, especially if you get one with and adjustable cheek rest and is the stock I would recommend! What kind of budget do you have for a scope? That pst is 800-900+ and is an excellent scope (I have one)... if you want the same quality that is a little cheaper go the viper hst way... it's 550+ and all you will give up compared to the pst is an illuminated reticle (I have one of these too)... either of these will serve well on a long distance shooter... I'd stay away from the millet, they are proven to be unreliable when dialing ranges... another brand I would recommend is the swfa ss... and as far as barrel goes you can replace with an aftermarket one or buy a pulled finn barrel with a good bore... they are on ebay alot! Hope this helps.
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 95 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:02 pm

Appreciate your thoughts , Farmer . I am partial to a stock with adjustable cheek-rest and adjustable L-O-P. I'll take a look at the Gorillaman's stuff...Is there a particular wood that would tolerate desert conditions ( heat / cold extremes ) better than others , or any reccommendation on any wood to stay away from because of the extreme temps the gun will eventually be in ? I have a HST 6-24x50 Vortex on my 43 Izzy-Archangel build , and the only reason I was leaning toward the PST was for the taller turrents with more vertical adjustment . I have absolutely no complaints with the HST , or Vortex for that matter . Had one minor issue with it and they had it fixed and back to me in about eight days . Great scope . And their ; "Your fault , My fault , Nobodies fault" gaurantee is real tough to beat . And they even pay the return shipping . :thumbup:

Going to have to get hold of Shepard about his "Mag" adapater , but I'll wait till I've got rifle in hand for that . I'm a firm beleiver in 10 round detachable mags .

Budget for this build will be what-ever it takes , so it will be a step by step process . No inheritance money layin around , and I didn't win the lottery last week . I checked . :(
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby farmerboy78 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:08 am

I would go laminate with whichever stock you choose. The epoxy in between the layers makes it very rigid!
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 95 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:07 am

As an M-28 owner there are some differences that you'll need to understand before you try and convert this rifle. First the Finn trigger is totally modded from the stock design. They've eliminated the the trigger pin that normally holds the trigger in the rifle. The Finns pinned the trigger to the sear. Your going to need to either mod that sear or get a new one, I highly recommend the later since that trigger setup is pretty rare.

The M28 might be shot out due to it might have actually have been an ever rarer M28/30 which shoots .308 ammo. Shooting milsurp down that barrel would have worn it out very quickly. The M28/30 is a VERY rare rifle. I have one and they are VERY accurate. Before you start planning what your going to do with it have your buddy shoot some photos and send them to you. Post them here and we will have a better idea of what you have.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:30 am

I completely agree with everything you said , Mark. Got very excited about securing a Finn in excellent condition as I know how he takes care of his "stuff". Planning and dreamin about a build is one thing, but I was coming straight here for conformation of what this rifle is , before even turning a screw once it was in my hands .

I'm going to have to sit on my hands for a couple months ; as my friend is a "contractor" and he travels on a regular basis outside the country . Soon as it arrives ; I will get pictures and all available data posted so it can be determined whether it is in the category of being "saved" , as a rare rifle , or modified .

Appreciate your counsel and advice on this . Got my head out of my ### , and made me realize I could be making a big mistake bein in a rush . Thanks... :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum