It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Everywhere

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

McGowan Barrels

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

McGowan Barrels

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 am

As always I'm always out searching to bring you guys information and services that we may need as a Mosin Modder. Today I found another source for a barrel blanks, McGowan Barrels. I currently have an email out to them for the charges for setting one of these barrels up for a Mosin Nagant. I've also invited them to stop in and check us out. Here is the barrel I found on there site. (hey DD here is your Finn .310 barrel)

7.62/302 Caliber Rifle/Pistol Barrels
Price $155.00
Available in various contours up to 30" finished length. This price is for an uncontoured (not turned) blank. (please note that anything over 26" finished length adds an additional charge)
302BoreGroove.JPG

(Total cost of contoured blank is the blank price + $30.00, unless it is a contour that is not listed on our contour page, then it is an additional $35.00 for programming)

Twists Available:
1-10" (6 Groove)
1-12" (6 Groove)
7.62 x 39, 7.62 x 39 Match, 7.62 x 54

You can visit their website at McGowan Barrels
Check it out
Seeya
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 151 times
Kudos  Received: 132 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: McGowan Barrels

Postby Shepard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:11 pm

McGowan Barrels rocks. Great find. The prices are right-on and the services can get you a Mosin replacement barrel very easily. Hey DevilDog, just think, a 1 1/4" barrel with no contour and just the threading. Maxi Bull Barrel
Now I lay me down to sleep -- under my pillow a Glock I keep. If I should wake and find you inside -- the coroners van will be your next ride.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 138 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
Medals: 9
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:47 pm

This would also open up another possibility, A Mosin Nagant chambered for 7.62x39. Not that I would but wow just think about it.

I'm hoping that the machining for the treads and such won't be to high I just want a straight bull barrel, chambered 7.62x54R and notched for the extractor.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Jeremy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:28 am

Hello from Afghanistan! I am in the process of starting my own Mosin project and gathering materials at the time. Would the this company make a drop in barrel to your specs? Just curious if anyone has every used their barrel before? Thanks!
Random avatar
Jeremy
Grunt
Grunt

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:54 am

Welcome Jeremy:
While I've never used a McGowan barrel on a project yet, I think they will be a big part of a build in the future for me. I've chatted with the folks at McGowan with the same question they stated to me that while they can do the chamber and the proper threading they cannot do the head spacing and extractor grove with out having the rifle there. They recommend taking the barrel to a gunsmith and having it installed. I would also recommend this as well since the extractor and head spacing are critical to safe rifle operation.

Hope that helps and welcome to the board. Hey feel free to introduce yourself in the intros forum. You'll find the group of folk we have here are like a bunch of friends.

Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby moodyj2000 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:11 pm

We don't have a local gunsmith in my area that would do this. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Random avatar
moodyj2000
Grunt
Grunt

Postby DevilDog » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:48 pm

shepard5348 wrote:McGowan Barrels rocks. Great find. The prices are right-on and the services can get you a Mosin replacement barrel very easily. Hey DevilDog, just think, a 1 1/4" barrel with no contour and just the threading. Maxi Bull Barrel

Heavy "B" for sure!

moodyj2000 wrote:We don't have a local gunsmith in my area that would do this. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I can run it by my guy, since he recently did my TGI barrel, he is already familiar with the issues at hand:
http://www.revelationarms.com/

PM me if you would like me to speak with him, or you can just call and ask for Roger.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 2 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:18 pm

hey do you think he would like to be added to our gunsmith list in the links page?
Thanks
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby DevilDog » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:43 pm

I will definitely ask him! He loves 'projects' as he puts it, but is the kind of guy you would want to talk things over with before you act (those Marines :roll: )

Update: Roger is cool with any good projects you want to throw his way!
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 2 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby moodyj2000 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks for chasing this down. I will give him a call and see what we can work up.
Random avatar
moodyj2000
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum