It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:27 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Its finished and it is a monster !!!

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Its finished and it is a monster !!!

Postby Surplus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Finally,

260 Remington / 7mm-08 take off barrel

Before I go to knee surgery I was able to finish the .260 Remington custom rifle.

Took a lot of sanding time with a round wood dowel to get the diameter for the barrel, cut into the stock. Action is pillar and glass bedded (actually epoxy) and barrel is free floating (yes free floating despite massive size) from about an inch ahead of the receiver all the way to the front of the stock.

I guess you can recognize the hardware, scope base and bolt is Rock Solid, stock is custom made Gorilla Works in Cherry wood where I reinforced the pistol grip drilling and epoxying a long threaded rod, barrel is a green mountain 1:9 twist in 260 rem. The other 7mm-08 barrel is also a green mountain. Scope base is Mamba 20 MOA one piece base.

Gunsmith made some mods to the trigger so it is original but smooth and crisp, bolt head modified for rimless case and gunsmith proprietary follower installed inside trigger guard to allow single round feeding.

Have not had chance to go and try it, went today to Schells to look for a case of ammo and they are crazy, they want $40 for 20 rounds of Remington brand 260 rem. I will have to wait until I reload for it, I have all the supplies.

It will be a couple of weeks before I try it, this Thursday I will have knee surgery to repair a damaged middle meniscus.

Will keep you posted

Surplus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Random avatar
Surplus
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 25 times
Medals: 2
Custom Builders Guild (2)

Re: Its finished and it is a monster !!!

Postby Grimstod » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:57 pm

I have been waiting for you to finish this gun for a long time now. So glad to see it together. Shoot her a lot for us.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Surplus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Grimstod wrote:I have been waiting for you to finish this gun for a long time now. So glad to see it together. Shoot her a lot for us.

Thank's Grimstod,

Unfortunately my knee is in very bad shape and its very hard to move around, had to stop taking pain killers because of pre-operation requirements and pain its not fun.

As soon as I recover i will reload and try it.

I will have to disassemble and paint the receiver when I have a chance, but that will be after I try it.

Surplus
Random avatar
Surplus
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Shepard » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:08 am

Looks great, we'll be waiting for the excellent range report. Glad to see you went with a 5 port brake. You will have definite improved control of your recoil.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:11 pm

awesome! that is one nice looking set up :thumbup:
Hopefully the lure of getting a chance to test it out expedites your healing process on a physiological level and you have a speedy recovery.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 42 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Surplus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:17 pm

Shepard wrote:Looks great, we'll be waiting for the excellent range report. Glad to see you went with a 5 port brake. You will have definite improved control of your recoil.

Thank you Jay, I hope also to have a quick recovery, need to go back to the field and work on my nursery by the middle of next month, doctor says its a 4 to 5 week recovery.

Unfortunately you can only load low resolution pictures and you cannot appreciate the wood grain.

Surplus
Random avatar
Surplus
Sniper
Sniper

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum