It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:30 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

My Polish Mosin M44 Barrel Jacket conversion step by step.

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

My Polish Mosin M44 Barrel Jacket conversion step by step.

Postby Russian Reloads » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:03 pm

Ok everybody I kind of discovered this site and and new to it but I have been welcomed warmly by other Mosin enthusiasts. I have been shooting this one mosin that I bought 3 years ago and I was actually just looking for a good action and barrel to start with and I stumbled upon a Polish M44 in MINT condition. It was in unfired unissued condition. Well the bolt was butter smooth and the trigger was the best I had felt on a Mosin so I picked it up for a whopping $225 dollars! Well I felt bad about what I was going to do to this rifle ......for about a minute. Well I had already known what I was planning on doing to the gun from the beginning. I took it to the range and put about 50 rounds through it and wow it shot great! So I started to take it all apart for the conversion. (I know its Mosin Sacrilege but oh well) I removed the old stock and put it up for sale on e bay and got 200 bucks for it!! So I sold the bayonet and kept the rest. Then off to the garage and I machined off the bayonet lugs on the side of the barrel and tapered it and re blued it. I also threaded the barrel for a M14 style flash supressor. I turned the bolt handle down and I mounted the SWFA 10x scope with an ATI scope mount. It shot great groups depending on the ammo and was consistantly at around 1.5 to 2.5 groups at 100 yards. It was ok....but I wanted to see it really shine!! I started reloading after making my conversion system to convert a berdan primer to boxer primer for steel cases when I couldnt find any to buy. Now that system is patented and selling around the world!! Anyways I digress. So after free floating the barrel the shots started going all over the place as the barrel fired past the second shot. SO I was trying to develop load after load after load and I was watching rounds really spread out depending on the weight of the bullets I was using. So I started to really look into barrel harmonics and educated myself on it in a short time as much as I could. I then Glass bedded my stock and it brought the groups in smaller but still not where I wanted them. I realized that when you add anything to the front of the barrel you could really be doing yourself a disfavor. It shot the best groups with nothing on the barrel. So I did an experiment with several different barrel attachments from nothing to a M14 style flash suppressor and an ak-74 style muzzle brake to a heavy suppressor housing. I made lots of notes to the shooting of each of these and learned TONS!! Well I came to the conclusion that it was the barrel whipping around and all out of tune that was giving me the inaccuracy that I was getting. I was contemplating a heavy barrel and started the quest to find one at a decent price. by the time I started to add up all the costs it was coming out to close to 800 dollars. Well My goal was to build this rifle for as little money as I could so that kind of shot the whole heavy barrel thing down. I started to looking into barrel tuners and then I was thinking of a way to stiffen the barrel and thought of a shroud system. Then I discovered that someone was already doing it!! So as I looked into it and read everything I could on it and thought that was the way to go.....until I called to get more info on it. Well the old articles I had been reading were saying around 350 dollars which I could fit into my budget. Well after calling and finding out that that price had more than doubled and the waiting list was 10 months long!! Well for one I want to be shooting my gun and not sending it off to summer camp for 10 months. And well the price.....ummmm not in the budget. So what is a person to do? I know!! I will do it myself!! Well I have a background in Jet and aircraft Mechanics and have done my fair share of fabrication and machining of many things. I have done plenty of conversions and modifications to different guns over a span of 30 years or so. So How hard could it be? Well the more I began to research on what the other guys had done to really wisk the heat away from the barrel with their patented system the more I did research into how I was going to do the same thing. Well here we are..... Now for the step by step as I have been coming along with the project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dont throw out your Berdan primed cartridges they can be reloaded.....go to www.russianreloads.com to see how.
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 33 times
Kudos  Received: 24 times
Medals: 2
StraightJacket Owners (1) Nice Build Award (1)

Re: My Polish Mosin M44 Barrel shroud conversion step by st

Postby Russian Reloads » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:28 pm

smallIMG_1707.JPG
OK the next step I had to do was figure out what size pipe and what material I was going to need for the shroud. I contemplated aluminum and stainless steel but decided to go the inexpensive way and use steel. So I did some measurements on my barrel and figured out that the end chamber area that it needed to fit over was approximately 1" so I figured I could use Black Pipe that they use for Gas systems. It is a great steel and it happened to be thick and could tolerate some machining to it to make it work. I measured what I needed and made the cut. I then took it to my belt sander and semi polished off the coating that was on it and cleaned it up. I then took the pipe and my barrel to a local machine shop that does a lot of work for me and told them I needed the inside of the pipe to be machined to be approximately .001 of an inch smaller than the largest part of the receiver so It could be pressed on for an almost exact fit. They did an excellent job and I did some test fitting to make sure it would all work. I then had to take off the front sight by basically grinding it down as well as the rear sight that was held on by a band...so I had to cut it off. After doing that I made sure that the barrel was as round as I could get it in the areas I did the machining and grinding to. I then repainted the barrel with a high temp black paint. I began to test fit it all to make sure it was going to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dont throw out your Berdan primed cartridges they can be reloaded.....go to www.russianreloads.com to see how.
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Russian Reloads » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Now the part that baffled me was what kind of a mixture could I put inside the void between the barrel and the shroud. This mixture would have to do several things. Keep the barrel from vibrating at all, wisk the heat away from the barrel, and be strong enough to take a pounding from each shot as well at the heat generated. After contemplating many things such as an epoxy mixture and other things I realized that any kind of an epoxy would act more as an insulation and would not draw the heat away. It would also be subject to high heat as well. It would also be slightly flexible. It didnt add up. So then I looked into some kind of a heat conduction ceramic type material. Or some kind of a viscous cement or plaster type of a medium with a base metal that would conduct heat. After doing some research on different metals it always came back to Copper for heat transfer. Copper has 4 times the ability to transfer heat than does aluminum. Copper is also heavier per volume than aluminum. Well I figure what is the difference in a half a pound in the rifle. I wasnt trying to make it super light. So I then started to look into what kind of a compound would have a VERY high Strength when cured. as well as being able to conduct heat as well. I researched into Portland Cement...it could work. Then I looked into casting plasters such as Plaster of Paris..(too weak) and I figured out from an old project a product called Hydrostone. It is harder than concrete and dense and will transfer heat. So I had done some testing with mixing plaster of Paris with Powdered copper and it transferred heat but was too weak. When I did the same test with the Hydrostone and copper it was very strong and wow did it transfer heat in my test pieces. So I settled on using hyrdrostone and Copper. The ratio I used was 2 parts Hydrostone to one part powdered copper. I then had to press the jacket onto the barrel. I used the old hot cold trick. I put the receiver and barrel into the freezer for about an hour and then I got my blow torch ready...... I got out the barrel and receiver out of the freezer and I heated up the shroud at the base where it would be going over the barrel. I got it very hot and when i was ready I placed it over the receiver and barrel and with a mallet I gave it one good whack and it slid right over.
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Russian Reloads » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:50 pm

smallIMG_1715.JPG
Now for more test fitting onto the stock. I had an ATI Monte Carlo Stock which I decided to use since it was already being used on this rifle. So i dragged out my dremel tool and went to work. It was a ton of material that I removed and just kept at it slowly.
smallIMG_1721.JPG
I also had a piece of the same pipe that I had cut off so I wrapped it with sand paper and used it to find the high spots until I could lay the whole barrel assembly into the channel with no binding. It is pretty much free floating in the stock at this point. You can see from the images how much material I have removed to make this work. I then assembled the whole thing up and took some Mock pictures of the set up.
smallIMG_1732.JPG
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Russian Reloads » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:59 pm

The next step was the mixing and pouring of the compound into the barrel void. So I mixed up the Hydrostone and Copper mix at a ratio of 2 parts hydrostone and one part copper powder into a large zip lock bag and added the appropriate amount of water and mixed it up. I placed the rifle with the pressed on barrel in an upright position and made sure that the barrel was centered.
smallIMG_1735.JPG
I used a drill bit to push the barrel over slightly to center it.
smallIMG_1735.JPG
I made sure that my threads on my barrel were protected by putting the flash suppressor over it. I then cut the corner off the bag and used the bag to squeeze the mixture into the void. It flowed really well and when I got to the very end I used a mallet and tapped the barrel so it would flow to the entire void. I then let it set... It cured up within 30 min and I took out the spacer and the barrel was nice and centered.
smallIMG_1741.JPG
After I let it set for a few more hours I took the barrel and placed it in the oven and left it at 175 degrees over night. I wanted to let the moisture that was left in the compound all evaporate out and the compound can cure solid.
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Postby 0933 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:24 pm

Very cool!! 8-)

Awesome write up, with excellent pictures!! :thumbup:

One thing you may want to do in the future is beef up the forend on that ATI stock. With your ambition, and skills it probably wouldn't be that hard. Check out this thread and how Randalloc beefed up the forend on an Archangel stock. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7270
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Shepard » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Really cool idea to use copper powder in your mix. Keep up the good work.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Russian Reloads » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:35 pm

0933 wrote:Very cool!! 8-)

Awesome write up, with excellent pictures!! :thumbup:

One thing you may want to do in the future is beef up the forend on that ATI stock. With your ambition, and skills it probably wouldn't be that hard. Check out this thread and how Randalloc beefed up the forend on an Archangel stock. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7270

Actually I have the fiberglass part that I dug out of the big groove in the stock and I can always put it back in and epoxy it back. I had beefed it all up when I bedded it. But thanks for the input!! Im excited about it.... I should be able to be putting it through some shots by this weekend.
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Russian Reloads » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:27 pm

OK now after the pouring I cured the compound to dry it out as well by putting it in my oven at the lowest setting of 170 deg and let it sit in there all night. This should remove most of the moisture from the Hydrostone mix I poured in. The next step was to install the end caps. I used a stack of washer over the end that I cut to the correct diameter to fit around the barrel.
smallIMG_1742.JPG
I was going to weld the cap on but I decided to use an epoxy we use in the aviation industry called MetalSet. This stuff is super strong and is made for bonding metal. I used the flash hider to tighten down the washers into the epoxy mix so it will be flush. After it has cured I then took the whole assembly to the belt sander and got it all nice and smooth. It is almost complete!
smallIMG_1744.JPG
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Russian Reloads » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:34 pm

After cleaning it all up I also decided to do a Crown Polish to make it come back to life. I took a close look at the crown with a jewelers loop and didn't like what I saw. some old tool marks and things I had not noticed before. So I took a mushroom head 1/4 inch Brass screw and some lapping compound and my drill and got it nice and smooth again. Now its ready to be painted and re assembled into the rifle.
smallIMG_1745.JPG
smallIMG_1747.JPG
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum