It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:38 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Heavy barrel builders

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: Heavy barrel builders

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:38 am

ShootnMathews wrote:
TJPike wrote:Hello,i am new member here.Is that Graf and Son's blue box .308's? Also what about the Winchester factory 180 grain round nose soft point's ?

I'll measure some of the winchesters in a few minutes. Then you'll know exactly what they measure.

Measured 12 of the Winchesters for you. Sizes ranged from .3085-.310" with the majority of them measuring .3095". Only one or two were .310". I think 4 measured .3085". I didn't figure it mathematically but I'd say the average size was about .3092"
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Shepard » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:43 am

The Blue box ammo from Grafs measures .309 bullet diameter. Its also copper plated steel bullets - not copper jacketed.I have 1000 rounds of this stuff -- I'm saving it for a survival situation. I wouldn't shoot it in my main rifle cause it will wear out the bore and shooting it in a standard Mosin -- it will be sloppy in the bore and your accuracy will be affected.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby TJPike » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:10 am

Thanks Shootinmathews for measuring those Winchester bullets. That answers that question. I also want to put together a heavy barrel Mosin and possibly a nice hunting rifle. I don't reload either but think I could probably get someone to do it for me. I have a pile of various Mosin's but planned on buying a couple of receivers and go from there.. :thumbup: Are there some receivers better than others ?
Random avatar
TJPike
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 11 times
Kudos  Received: 4 times

Postby TJPike » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:36 am

Hex Receiver vs Round Receiver? Would like to know which receiver is preferred and why? Same question for building a heavy and a hunting rifle. Currently putting together parts for both so I was wondering if there is a preference.
Random avatar
TJPike
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Grimstod » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:59 am

I say round highwall .
They have a lot more mettal in them. Are much easier to work on. If I was a smith I would charge twice as much for hex just because of the extra work involved with that iner barrel stop.
Look for one with as little closed bolt slop as posable. My tightest one is my 1945 Izzy and a TU53. Both shoot better then any of my Hexs. The Russians always used round high walled receivers to make there snipers because they are better and more modern in design fetures.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Shepard » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:22 am

I would say just the opposite of The Grim. The Hex receiver is a better choice for building a long distance target rifle. The Hex receiver has more metal wrapped in the lug and bolt head and threaded area of the receiver. They also can be easier to mount a RSI scope mount to.
The round receiver has less metal in the lug area and more metal on the high wall side. The high wall was left to attach the sniper scope to.
Have to remember its just an opinion from someone whos put together many target rifles. The High Wall round receiver is the best easily obtained receiver. They had as minimal machine work done as possible and also removed some steps to machining processes. Most high walls are fairly crude in there machine work compared to any Hex receiver. Some of the best finished receivers I've worked with are the Romanian M44s.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby TJPike » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:25 pm

I have one hex on its way from Pat Burns. Think for the other will pick up a round. There is not many stripped receivers out there for sale at the moment but sure that will change from day to day. Thanks for your opinions. :thumbup:
Random avatar
TJPike
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Randalloc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:18 pm

So we have 2 schools of thought on the best receiver for a heavy barrel build.. interesting.. I have heard that the hi-wall like Grim said is stronger because and it makes sense less metal was taken off it... thus it does have a stronger beam strength if you get my drift but as Shep says the hex does have more meet right there by the threads and chamber. We all know that the hex is normally much better milled and made when they factory was not under direct threat of invasion. So ... I have a hi-wall and was thinking of getting a hex for a heavy varmint... now I am totally confused.. lol.. or is it down to aesthetics... lol. All thoughts would be welcome.. for a bull barrel build and a heavy varmint build... one of each for what one or stick with only one... hmmmm... and the answer is? :|
You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created.” - Albert Einstein
“Creativity is that marvelous capacity to grasp mutually distinct realities and draw a spark from their juxtaposition.” ― Max Ernst
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 26 times
Kudos  Received: 46 times
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:45 am

If properly built I believe either one will shoot equally well. Your talking about one being stronger than the other on a scale so small that it's not going to make much difference. I personally think the big 1" bore barrels are way over kill unless you're running a 2 minute 10 shot string in competition. A good medium contour 24" barrel is all you need for precision shooting under normal conditions. That's just my 2 cents. But then all of my guns are hunting guns. I don't build any guns for bench shooting only and those bull barrels don't pack well in the field.

The only main advantages to heavy bull barrels are, they are heavy. The weight works as a big counter balance to the recoil, so the recoil with the bull barrels is much less than a lightweight barrel. The bull barrels are also much stiffer which makes them more tolerable of different loads. They are much easier to tune a load to and the load doesn't have to be near as precisely loaded to shoot well. The lighter the barrel the more finicky they are and the more finely the load has to be tuned to shoot consistently.

But as far as receivers go, If all aspects of the rifle are built equally in quality, you won't be able to tell which receiver is which.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby TJPike » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:27 am

You are not kidding the bulls don't pack well for hunting.I sometimes use my Howa 1500 bull barreled .204 Ruger(on a Knoxx Axiom Stock) or Colt AR-15 HBAR Match for Coyotes and Fox and they are a load to carry. Especially if one brings along a varmint shotgun. But thats hunting and shooting its still fun.
Random avatar
TJPike
Marksman
Marksman

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum