It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

"Gabriel" the Archangel Build

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: "Gabriel" the Archangel Build

Postby Deathsythe311 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Well I have two at the moment, one is posted on this forum and the other I'm bridging the reciever with a rail and moving the bolt handle. That one I was going to make a McMillan style fiberglass stock and duracoat the whole thing a desert camo. Another maybe. That would put me at three mosins. I think the only other one would be a fin. Maybe one that someone messed up and I can rebarrel it with a 308 barrel. How's the mag setup on those stocks? Would it be to hard to buy the mag and make it would on another stock?
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 40 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Randalloc » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:24 pm

The mags work pretty well and you can use a 5 or a 10 rounder and the costs are reasonable $15-$25 or so. Shepard on here is currently working on a bullpup and took the AA mag and made an adapter that can use that mag in his modded bullpup.. look for the NY bullpup... he might be able to get that on the "market" or help those here to make one down the road if successful. On a different build I might mod the AA mags as the lip gives it a certain look what I played up on the Gabriel but for another stock I would look to make that lip go away and look more normal as a tactical mag. Just my aesthetic quirkiness from being a picky architect/designer. I a AICS 2.0 build sorta in the works.. on hold and I might try to use that mag (or another mag direction) with a little Shepard insight and what I think would work best when I get there.

I have said for while now since the stock has got out if Promag was smart they would come out with 2-3 other stock styles based on what folks like and use the same base mag...if they ever do it I want my royalties.. lol
You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created.” - Albert Einstein
“Creativity is that marvelous capacity to grasp mutually distinct realities and draw a spark from their juxtaposition.” ― Max Ernst
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 26 times
Kudos  Received: 46 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Randalloc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:30 pm

OK... hit the range today and took out my new Gabriel.. to sight in a Millet TRS-1 and give the Russian match ammo a try... after some warm ups with regular Russian milsurp.. getting about 3-4" groups and new to the rig and scope I swapped ammo to the nice stuff.. and it did better.. as the picture shows below... I think with a little practice and getting used to the new rig/scope I can improve some..

XMATCH RUSSIAN MIL-SURP AMMO AND GABRIEL WITH MILLET TRS-1 SCOPE.jpg

Its a start and I think I can do better with getting used to the new rig and scope... just need more range time.

Gabriel starboard small pica.jpg

Starboard side
Gabriel port small pica.jpg

Port side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created.” - Albert Einstein
“Creativity is that marvelous capacity to grasp mutually distinct realities and draw a spark from their juxtaposition.” ― Max Ernst
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Video Award (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Looking great man. It's always a blast when the project comes together. Just need to figure her out is the next one. Always love a good range report. To often we want our rifles to look better than they shoot. Good to see yours is doing both for a old war horse. Thanks for sharing.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos  Received: 40 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Even11 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Great work you did there Randalloc. I love the creativity!

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 74 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Russian Reloads » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:11 am

Wow beautiful work!! This totally makes me re consider using an Archangel stock. Keep up the great work!
Dont throw out your Berdan primed cartridges they can be reloaded.....go to www.russianreloads.com to see how.
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 33 times
Kudos  Received: 24 times
Medals: 2
StraightJacket Owners (1) Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Randalloc wrote:OK... hit the range today and took out my new Gabriel.. to sight in a Millet TRS-1 and give the Russian match ammo a try... after some warm ups with regular Russian milsurp.. getting about 3-4" groups and new to the rig and scope I swapped ammo to the nice stuff.. and it did better.. as the picture shows below... I think with a little practice and getting used to the new rig/scope I can improve some..

XMATCH RUSSIAN MIL-SURP AMMO AND GABRIEL WITH MILLET TRS-1 SCOPE.jpg

Its a start and I think I can do better with getting used to the new rig and scope... just need more range time.

Gabriel starboard small pica.jpg

Starboard side
Gabriel port small pica.jpg

Port side

Randall -- did you slug your bore? I have close to 1000 rounds of the blue box X match and it measures .309 in diameter
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Surplus » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Randalloc,
What kind of paint did you used for the stock??
Is it the Krylon spray paint that has a stone firnis??

Surplus
Random avatar
Surplus
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos  Received: 25 times
Medals: 2
Custom Builders Guild (2)

Postby Randalloc » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:08 pm

Surplus,
Yea it was something like that.. very gritty texture finish like stone... great for grip and flecks of colors hides and fills in imperfections too. It goes on thick and you have to make sure it is degrease well.. had a couple of areas that needed some touch up as it wouldn't stick. It goes on thick too so keep that in mind. I am tempted to toss some black webbing paint over it..with the green still coming thru when I get bored with the looks.. lol..
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Video Award (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:34 pm

Russian Reloads wrote:Wow beautiful work!! This totally makes me re consider using an Archangel stock. Keep up the great work!

My thoughts exactly. Randalloc, that stock looks great!
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 42 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum