It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:50 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Muzzle brakes

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Muzzle brakes

Postby cmac8 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 am

I've been looking online at different muzzle beaks that slip over the front sight and clamped on. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these. I've seen some as low as $60 all the way up over $100. I didn't pay but $108 for my MN. It's a real nice hex receiver. I don't want to thread the barrel on this rifle. I know a store that has a couple crates in but they're not as in good of shape as mine and they've gone up to $150. I thought about getting an old beater to modify. Maybe even put an arch angel stock and a bent bolt on it. But the muzzle brake is what I'm mainly asking about.
Random avatar
cmac8

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Muzzle brakes

Postby Randalloc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Generally many frown on a slip over muzzle brake and some do fly downrange at times. But as one that would want to not modify a rifle there is a definite advantage to using one to reduce recoil and keep you sight picture with less muzzle flip.

I have had two of them that are out on the market the Mosinplus and the Witt Machine brake. I do not recommend the Mosinplus and returned it very soon after getting it. It has one set screw and with the wrap around front sight lug but I was not convinced it was solid in place and that it would perform that well. It also was steel so it added weight to the front end which can amplify barrel harmonics too. I ended up with the Witt Machine brake and am very happy with it. The company does make screw on brakes too so they know the brake biz and the the clamp on model is a wrap around the lug and it has 4 screws that clamp down around the barrel. It does well on the recoil I would say around 60% reduction and takes much of the muzzle flip out of the equation too and it is made of aluminum so its light weight out there on the end. I also know Witt backs up their products if anything goes wrong. Good Luck and good shooting!
You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created.” - Albert Einstein
“Creativity is that marvelous capacity to grasp mutually distinct realities and draw a spark from their juxtaposition.” ― Max Ernst
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 26 times
Kudos  Received: 46 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby nowake » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:13 pm

I love this break on my M44. works well and I keep blue locktight on it too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nowake
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 7 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:31 am

Texas Precision Products makes one that slips on and locks over your front-sight block . Also has a couple of "lock-down" screws to keep it in place .
A friend of mine put one on his M-N and likes it very much . I cut my barrel to 26" and installed their "threaded" version . The unit works well , and I'm satisfied with the quality and performance .

info@texasprecisionproducts.com

Very nice folks to deal with .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 198 times
Kudos  Received: 144 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)