It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:41 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Bedding RSI Pillar Posts

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Bedding RSI Pillar Posts

Postby DevilDog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:25 pm

I did my posts, and thought I would upload some photos. I only bedded the posts, the rest of the action will be done when it returns from Teludyne.

It really felt good to set in the posts, as the holes I drilled for them left a bit of slop. The front lug was only contacting the recoil bolt, with plenty of space due to the lug shape and the fact that this stock did not come with the rifle.

I used this product ($25 at Sportsman's Warehouse) It comes with great instructions and everything you need, besides maybe some rubber gloves and q-tips for clean-up:

Here is the Sloppy start:

I did it in 3 stages, first just enough to set the rear post, covering the trigger actuator with clay to keep out the resin, yet hold the post in proper orientation:
Second fill in around rear post and receiver tang with the Timney trigger removed (If applicable):

The rear looked great afterwards:

I dabbed some around the bottom of the rear post while setting the front:

and the front needed a bit more fill in than the rear:

But now it's snug as a bug:
ImageImage

"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Re: Bedding RSI Pillar Posts

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Did they supply some sort of release agent so that the action doesn't get glued into the stock?

Thanks Great Pics BTW
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 259 times
Kudos  Received: 230 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby DevilDog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:43 pm

YES! That was my biggest fear, which is why I did just little bits in 3 stages. Especially with the front lug, which was pretty much surrounded with epoxy.

But I applied the supplied release agent (2 coats even though it probably didn't need it) and everything came apart easily!

They give you dye (just a little dab is good), stir stick and 3 cups for mixing, daubers for the release agent, modelling clay for gap protection, even some micro beads to stiffen the mix if you need.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Postby joiner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:31 am

Great pics. Will probably do the same to mine. Question, how did you attach the hand grip?
Random avatar
joiner
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Chenko » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:01 am

i guess i should post mine next
Chenko
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Even11 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Looks Good! I need to get some pics of my project on here. I have the pillars but haven't bedded them yet.

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 23 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby DevilDog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:14 pm

joiner wrote:Great pics. Will probably do the same to mine. Question, how did you attach the hand grip?

Thanks!

I used a Mortise and Tenon joint which was epoxied together. BTW the Tenon in this photo is rotated 90 degrees to show the mortise in the stock. The tenon was actually almost the same length as the mortise (it's grain would be perpendicular to the stock for shear strength parallel to the stock)
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Postby Mosin Master » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:01 am

Thanks Devil Dog:
Now I have more work to do on my rifle.. Now if there was only a mod to make me a better shot.
MM
Mosin Master

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum