It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:49 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

My Sleeved Barrel Project

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: My Sleeved Barrel Project

Postby Russian Reloads » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:28 am

Yea if a bore was shot out I wouldnt waste the time doing it. And yes you could do a heavy barrel which was where I was leaning when I came across their method when I was already thinking along the same line. For the 349.00 it would be a great deal but since then their prices have more than doubled so in that case the heavy barrel starts to look like a good choice. And also a wait time of 10 months is what I was quoted. That made it a turn off for me. Im happy they are backed up that much and I give the props for getting it to market. Im always one for a good business Idea.

Shepard...that sounds awesome I was contemplating a heavy barrel in the 308 simply because of the ammo so you are on to something like that. What do you charge to do a re barrel? Just a basic re barrel with a muzzle thread? Just curious.

I started doing my own project of sleeving my barrel simply because I can...I have the ability to do it where so many cant. I am doing a step by step build for all the others that are curious how Im doing it. I may have even figured out how to do the wisking away of the barrel heat too with the compound I poured in the void. I has added about 2 lbs to the rifle so far. Not too bad but it is getting up there with a heavy barrel weight. Im sure its slightly less but not by too much. I bought my rifle as a cheap inexpensive way to get range time but I never can leave anything alone and always trying to figure out a way to make it better or improve on it somehow. Its good to be in a forum with many like minded people.
Dont throw out your Berdan primed cartridges they can be reloaded.....go to www.russianreloads.com to see how.
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 33 times
Kudos  Received: 24 times
Medals: 2
StraightJacket Owners (1) Nice Build Award (1)

Postby TheJoe » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Update:

I finally got to shoot some loads today. I loaded around 20 rounds from 42 grains to 48 grains. I loaded these jammed to try to find max pressure. Using a 30 cal comparator on one side of a caliper these rounds measures 2.500.

Primers didn't show any pressure signs till about 47 grains. You can really see the bullets climb with the load increase.

I was expecting a larger velocity spread. 42-44 grains were going 2200-2250 and top velocities were just under 2500 at 47.7 and 48 grains.

I'm going load 100 once fired, full length sized, cases at 42.5 to stretch the necks a bit more then try to develop the fastest load I can.
I think I could go to at least 49 grains if not 50.

For reference I'm averaging 2525 fps with PPU 182 Match.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm pretty new to load development.

1" grids.

Random avatar
TheJoe
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby Russian Reloads » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:12 pm

I was at the range today working up loads......I have found that in the range of 45.5 to 46.5 is the sweet spot. I tried the ball powder that I disassembled the cartridges from and also used 4064 and the sweet spot was right at about 46 grains of both powders. I was using the Ball 148 grain bullets and both powders pretty much acted about the same with the accuracy. I pushed them with up to 49 grains but the accuracy failed after 46 grains and before 46 grains. Your patterns look about like mine.
Dont throw out your Berdan primed cartridges they can be reloaded.....go to www.russianreloads.com to see how.
Russian Reloads
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 33 times
Kudos  Received: 24 times
Medals: 2
StraightJacket Owners (1) Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grimstod » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:53 am

Sweet spot will never be the same for any two rifles no matter how similar they are.

Your bullet holes look the best at 47.5 gr But seating depth is giving you bad horizontal.

Your 42.5-44 shots group extremely well but the bullet holes look a little messy. Was there a card board backer behind them? That load would be your most accurate. Forget about speed it does not equal greater accuracy. Sometimes it makes you gun really really inaccurate. Image
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:32 pm

I agree to go with accuracy of speed across the board... and with the .311 smk and varget, 42.5 is the accuracy load for my custom m39...
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 95 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby TheJoe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Yeah, targets were stapled to a cardboard box, then removed. All holes were clean.

I'm really hoping to get a load to at least or as close as possible to 2500 fps.

The 42.5's (2250 fps) are going to have about 10' (feet!) more drop at 1000 yards and go subsonic at around 850. 2500 would keep me supersonic (or close) to 1000 yards.
But who knows when I'll get to shoot that far. There's a 19.5" drop difference at 500 yards, which I can shoot at any day of the week.

Will the seating depth have any substantial impact on my velocity?
Random avatar
TheJoe
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Grimstod » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:07 am

Yes. Slower or into the lands will yield faster. Gain/loss though here are nil. Seating depth controls the horizontal in your groups. So your last target that has the horizontal stringing has a big seating depth issue. Different loads will like different seating depths in same rifle.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby TheJoe » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:54 am

So many variables, so little time and Varget.

The last group had the most potential for human error, my eyes were tiring and I was starting to get really wet laying on the ground despite 2 layers of tarp. These groups were shot prone on a bi-pod btw.

I'll see what I can come up with, I want to do a 300 yard ladder test at some point.

Here's a link to an article I've been using as a guide.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Random avatar
TheJoe
Sniper
Sniper

Previous

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum