It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:42 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Mosin Nagant + UK-59 Barrel build

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Postby 0933 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:06 pm

I mentioned this project earlier, now that I pretty much have all the parts and pieces I'm posting it.

The receiver is a 43 Izhevsk, It was a 91/30... some body had already cut the barrel down.

The Barrel is a UK-59 barrel that Classic Arms was selling a while back. I still need to do some more work on it before I can torque it on.

I removed the original barrel that was on the receiver... I'm guess it took around 300 ft-lbs.

I did some work on the bolt and action. I lapped the lugs, slicked up the bolt, cut the original bolt off and welded an RSI bolt on the body. I drilled and tapped the receiver for the RSI base (I used the original barrel to make sure I was level when I &Ted), I bedded the base with JB weld... Now I have 100% contact with the receiver, and no gap between the base and receiver.

Since I'll be using a Timney trigger, I turned down the cocking peice also.

I made a template stock, and had the gunsmithing school close by use there replicator and cut out this stock from a black/grey laminate blank.

The forend is 3" wide... plenty of meat for that heavy barrel.

I'm going to put an adjustable cheek piece on it, and finish the stock with tru-oil to a glass-like appearance.

I'm going to use grey Duracoat on the receiver, magazine, barrel, base, and rings. The bolt and all the small parts will be black. Overall it will have a smart grey/black two tone look.

I'll keep posting pictures and updates as I progress!! :thumbup:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Mosin Nagant + UK-59 Barrel build

Postby Shepard » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Would you like some help? I have built 7 of these and there are somethings you my want to know.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby 0933 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:10 pm

I'll take all the help I can get Shepard! :D

I know that the chambers are deep... I already measured mine and I need to take about 13 thousandths off the chamber end.

I need to turn down the big collar also...

Did you make a bushing to go over the barrel? I think that's the way I'm going to go. The bushing will be 1.260" O.D. and but up to the first step in the barrel. I'll turn the barrel down to 1.170" and keep that profile untill it stops cutting metal... That should take out all the steps.

How did you time the extractor cut? Or did you cut a new one? I'm thinking about cutting a new one wherever the barrel comes out after the chamber depth and headspace is good.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Postby DevilDog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:10 pm

I really like the profile on that stock, it's going to look sweet! Enjoy! So many UK's here now, it's like their home :D
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby iridium-192 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Here ya go, another innocent victim of UK 59 ;) You gotta love man this ride... Welcome to the club!
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 326 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Shepard » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:49 am

0933 wrote:I'll take all the help I can get Shepard! :D

I know that the chambers are deep... I already measured mine and I need to take about 13 thousandths off the chamber end.

I need to turn down the big collar also...

Did you make a bushing to go over the barrel? I think that's the way I'm going to go. The bushing will be 1.260" O.D. and but up to the first step in the barrel. I'll turn the barrel down to 1.170" and keep that profile untill it stops cutting metal... That should take out all the steps.

How did you time the extractor cut? Or did you cut a new one? I'm thinking about cutting a new one wherever the barrel comes out after the chamber depth and headspace is good.

I see you read about the chamber being deeper than needed. I CARFULLY cut the chamber face till I can slip a .001 feeler gauge under the shell casing rim. That will leave you with very nice re-loadable brass.
The collar I make out of 1 1/4" or 1.250 so it slips over the machined area. Next I screw the barrel in to the receiver hand tight. Measure the length of the machined area. I make the bushing .003 longer then needed to allow for a crush fit that adds support of the barrel to the receiver face.
You have asked about timing the extractor groove. Screw the barrel in hand tight, where does the groove fall? It should fall at about a 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock position. When torqued to 200 lbs the groove will be 12 to 6 o'clock. If it does not fall in that area you will need to shave the front of the receiver till the groove is in the proper hand tight position.
Now for head spacing -- most likely and has been in all my builds the bolt will not close. The first interference will be the extractor paw.
Re move it. The second interference will be the ring on the bolt head. Cut the lip down till the bolt closes. You wouldn't have to remove much. Next set your go head space gauge in the bolt head -- it won't close. You will need to deepen the bolt head pocket slowly till the bolt just closes on the go gauge, if done properly it will not close on the no-go gauge. I'm speaking as to someone who has a mill and a lathe available because either you do it or your gunsmith does it. These are the steps to making a precision shooting rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)

Postby 0933 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks DevilDog!! Here are some more pics of the stock.

The underside... you can really see the width of the forend.

One of the left side of the buttstock.

Here are a couple drawings of what I plan on doing for the cheek piece.

Yes, there are definitely a higher concentration of UK-59 Mosins here than anywhere else on the web... And I'm adding mine to the already growing family. :D

Iridium-192, thanks for the warm welcome!! Hopefully this girl turns out as beautifully as yours did! 8-)

Shepard, Thanks for the info!! Especially the crush dimension. I'll be doing all the work on it... using a friends machine shop.

Right now, the extractor cut times from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock... But as I said before, I still need to take .013" of the chamber end of the barrel... and after lapping the lugs and measuring from the receiver facke to the bolt face, I'll need .945"-.947" of threads for the headspace to come out right. I'll keep you posted as I get closer to torquing it on... Again thanks a million for the info!

Those are some beautiful rifles sir!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Thank you for sharing them!

A question a little off topic... but how do you guys get those medals on your profiles?

Postby Even11 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:15 pm

0933 wrote:A question a little off topic... but how do you guys get those medals on your profiles?

T;

You have to pm Mark (Maruauder) and he will add them. Loving this rifle!!

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 74 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby 0933 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:03 am

Dane!! I didn't recognize your username, or avator. :lol: :lol:

Thanks For the heads up!! I'll PM Mark when I've got some time...

I'm glad you are enjoying her coming together! I'm having a blast building her!

Postby DevilDog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:40 am

Hey, I was just browsing this thread and putting some pieces together about ya!

First off, Semper Fi brother, I assume 0933 is\was your MOS. Nice.

Second, I imagine you have been to Ben Avery, I want to get into a 1000yd F-Class match there (as I think it is the only way to shoot that line).

I need to spend more time on their website and plan a trip down, but maybe you have some pointers :)
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum