It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:03 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Hunters

M/N model 44 as a varminter?

Use your Mosin Nagant for hunting, tell us your stories...

M/N model 44 as a varminter?

Postby ELMOUSMC » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:57 am

Well I guess I am the only member of this forum who uses his M/n as an every day working tool and am the only 1 who uses his M/N for hunting.
Here is another quick tale on how useful my model 44 is to me.I had a family of ground hogs(wood chuck,whistle pig or what ever you call them in your neck of the woods)set up house keeping in my front pasture.On more than 1 ocassion I spent several hours set up with my favorite varmint rig(savage model 40 .22 Hornet) to absolutly no avail didn't see hide nor hair of any of them.We have been having a spell of warm sunny days,I was down checking fences and lo and behold there was Mr ground hog about 70 yds from the safety of his burrow and about 130 yds from me.1 round from the M/N ended his nap in the sun.The round never hit him ,it hit about 2 inches low and blew enough dirt and rocks to pretty much shred him :shock: so now I guess my M/N is also a varmint rifle ELMO
MMgunnery USMC 1965-1992
Sleep well tonight citzen for rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf-George Orwell
Random avatar
ELMOUSMC
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: M/N model 44 as a varminter?

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Wow Gunny:
I never thought of that!. What type ammo where you shooting? Turned that Wood Chuck into Ground Chuck! I'm looking for an M38 for hunting. Just can't find one in my price range at the moment.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ELMOUSMC » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Mark the soil in my front field is pretty rough stuff and it has a lot of lime stone in it,Not real sure about this but I think the rounds are steel core 156 grain Russian
MMgunnery USMC 1965-1992
Sleep well tonight citzen for rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf-George Orwell
Random avatar
ELMOUSMC
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby DevilDog » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:49 am

LOL, Great story, SEMPER FI!
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Hunters