It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:01 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Showcase

Quicky Mosin Scout Project

Show off your Mosin Nagant collection or single rifle here....

Quicky Mosin Scout Project

Postby Max_Shepherd » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:26 am

Some time ago I purchased 5 M44 "field pick-ups" from Southern Ohio Gun. Price was $40.00 each and $20.00 to ship. Two were worth keeping in-tact and the remaining 3 were pretty much a loss, so I thought. I parted the three worst out and used the best of the stocks on the remaining 2. Just recently was looking for some Guinea pigs to experiment with barrel threading/crowning and discovered one of the 3 barreled actions had a pristine bore. I shortened the barrel to 17", 11 degree crown, 14mm LH thread, dressed the barrel O.D., chopped up the worst of the stocks, pillar bedded, and mounted a scope rail/TrueGlow reflex sight. After adding a low profile bolt mod and head space check tried it out at 100 yds.. Was very pleased to wind up with less than 4" groups with steel cased 150 grain milsurp ammo.. Dropped to 2" with 180 grain Lellier & Bellot soft tip. Wasn't concerned with the stock aesthetics as I have a Ruger Charger stock I want to inlet for the Mosin Nagant barreled action. Just wanted something to see how she grouped before going to the trouble of modifying the Charger stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Random avatar
Max_Shepherd
Grunt
Grunt

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Quicky Mosin Scout Project

Postby dogzebra » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:07 am

I like the concept of your project rifle. I bet you're having a lot of fun with it. What you've done to the bolt looks pretty clean. How's the muzzle flash with the 17" barrel?
Random avatar
dogzebra

Return to Mosin Showcase